Monday 12 May 2008

Jaw Jaw

Driving again today for the first time since the little op. Recent very warm weather means that Middletown is looking its very best; we are lucky to have so many lovely tree-lined streets, especially in the oldest parts. Why must Brian be so uncompromising about on-site parking although I guess I'd be cursing if I couldn't park within a few yards of my door late on some dark and dreadful night.

I've just treated myself to a recording of Saturday's "Britain's Got Talent". I love talent shows and have proved rather adept at picking winners, especially on American Idol. Barring his misguided backing of Gareth Gates instead of Will Young on the very first Pop Idol, I am nearly aways in step with Simon Cowell who talks a lot of sense (although I did think the musical saw was a tour de force) and in a less abrasive fashion than formerly. Brian, naturally, abhors all this "waste of productive time"(hence the furtive recorded viewing) while William is more forbearing but does not care for the violent and prolonged paroxysms of laughter provoked by so many of the contestants. As I keep reminding Brian, "all of human life is there" and also, sadly, some with doubtful claim to the human part. His particular bete noire is "I'd Do Anything" or, in reference to 75% of the judging panel, "You could all be Nancies". I am no advocate of cosmetic surgery but if you had even some of the Lord's (A Lloyd-Webber) money, wouldn't you? His facial expressions are simply excruciating but it was his integrity which came under the Merchant scrutiny last Saturday when, as expected, he took his chance to get rid of ginger Ashley in the sing-off even though her rendition of his very own "Don't Cry for me Argentina" was streets ahead of Neve, the dark, very young and very, very un-nancyish Irish beauty. Even Brian, who had made a premature re-entry to the lounge, was crying "shame!".

Until last week, I had no idea that Rachel Johnson, Sunday Times columnist, was the sister of Boris. Now there can be no-one in the land, let alone London, who is unaware of their relationship because she is everywhere (Woman's Hour, Question Time). I hope this is not an indication of how Boris intends to conduct his mayoral term ie too many Johnsons in the spotlight but then I wouldn't be the first to suggest that he is a bit of a d***. And is it just me, or is there something of the trans-sexual about the sister? That jawline, for instance......

No comments: