Sunday 21 September 2008

Mean Streaks

This past week has been one for encountering unpleasant behaviour. Is it the effects of the Credit Crunch or are we just not very nice to know these days? I can understand, if not sympathise, when an estate agent hangs up on me while I'm still in mid-sentence as soon as they hear the words "not making an offer" but is it necessary for anyone to cross in front of my car, twice in one day, when the lights are quite obviously green for cars and red for pedestrians and give me the equivalent of 2 fingers to boot? Was it necessary for 50 something long time employee at our private swimming club to be quite so rude to Brian about his failure (due to zero notification) to intuit the 20p price hike in his Guest Swim? And what had I done to the dental receptionist who begrudging unlocked the door to admit me for my 2 o'clock appointment and then let it slam in my face? No less then 3 friends/family members who work in education have suffered stress this week not, as you might imagine, due to the antics of their charges but because of the insensitive behaviour and thoughtless actions of fellow staff members. Never have I felt so blessed to stay at home and commune in blissful symbiosis with my cat.

Last Monday Brian and I attended the funeral of the husband of a lovely couple who were our very first neighbours in Middletown. It came as a shock to realise that he and his wife were, at that time, slightly younger than Brian and I are now and of course we thought them over the hill. Courageous wartime service (of which he was justifiably proud) apart, Neville could have been said to have lived an unremarkable life spanning a pre-retirement retail career in groceries and later bathroom fittings leavened by an abiding love of his garden and radio comedies. He was also one of a fast disappearing species as one of Life's true gentlemen; honest, conscientious, loyal, responsible, respectful (but never obsequious) charming (but never insincere) kind and modest. During my few minutes of reflection at the end of the service I felt I was mourning more then the passing of one good and gentle man.

No comments: